Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
WHAT IS CIVIL LITIGATION
Civil Litigation refers to the process of resolution of a damage and/or dispute arising out of negligence, breach of a promise or contract, denial of a rightful demand, unjust enrichment etc. The resolution can come by the process of written demands, negotiation, mediation, and/or a court action. A court action involves pleadings, settlement conferences, discovery of documents, mandatory mediation, and hopefully a settlement. Failing a settlement, a civil litigation usually ends in judgment after a Trial unless the judgement is appealed to higher courts like the Court of Appeal in Ontario.
Civil litigation is a highly adversarial and arduous process. It requires a thoughtful analysis of facts and evidence, along with their correct application in laws. It also requires strong commands in arguments, persuasion, negotiation, critical thinking, analysis and research in every step of the way.
How Can One Suffer a Personal Injury?
- YOU CAN BE PHYSICALLY INJURED BY AN ACCIDENT
- YOU CAN BE MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY TRUAMATIZED
- YOU MAY BE ECONOMICALLY HARMED AS YOU LOSE YOUR WORK DAYS OR IS UNABLE TO WORK AS BEFORE.
- YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY MAY SUFFER IN NUMEROUS WAYS.
How to go about a damage claim after a Personal Injury?
ASIDE VISITING THE DOCTORS AND THERAPISTS FOR HEALING, WHAT CAN YOU DO TO RECOUP YOUR PAIN, SUFFERING, LOSS AND DAMAGES ? THIS IS WHERE OUR PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER KICKS IN.
LEGALLY, YOU HAVE TWO WAYS TO RECOUP YOUR PAIN, SUFFERING, LOSS AND DAMAGES.
1) YOU CAN MAKE AN INSURANCE CLAIM, IF YOU HAVE ONE. INSURANCE COMPANIES MAY DENY YOUR CLAIM OR PLACE YOU ON A LOW DAMAGE RECOVERY THRESHOLD EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY DESERVE A HIGHER COMPENSATION. WE CAN LEGALLY HELP TO MAXIMIZE YOUR DAMAGE RECOVERY FROM INSURANCE COMPANIES BY UTILIZING OUR INSURANCE LAW, TORT LAW AND CONTRACT LAW SKILLS.
2) AND IF YOU THINK ARE NOT AT-FAULT FOR YOUR INJURY, YOU CAN ALSO MAKE A CLAIM AGAINST THE PERSON, ENTITY OR CORPORATION THAT CAUSED YOU THE INJURY AND HARM. THESE KIND OF CLAIMS USUALLY FALLS UNDER TORT LAW, A CORE LEGAL SUBJECT, THAT DEALS WITH WAYS, PROCESSES AND LIABILITIES OF NEGLIGENCE AND FAILURE TO MEET THE DUTY OF CARE. HERE WE CAN LEGALLY HELP BY UTILIZING OUR TORT LAW AND CIVIL LITIGATION SKILLS, USING MULTITUDE OF MEANS, SUCH AS, NEGOTIATION, SETTLEMENT, COURT ACTION, AND POSSIBLE COURT TRIALS, SO THAT THE NEGLIGENT PARTY FORCES TO PAY YOUR JUST DAMAGES.
THOUGHTS & REFLECTIONS
ON LAW SCHOOL
I started law school in 2008 at the Osgoode Hall Law School, and graduated from there in 2011. Now as I look back to those years, they feel like dreams.
--Usman Hannan, JD (Osgoode Hall, York)